Tia Holliday, chemistry teacher at North Eugene High School worked with Kate Ali, a sculptor and AWE teaching artist. Holliday and Ali designed a project that explored the interaction of metals and non-metals to form ionic compounds through the casting of polymer models.
The goals of the project were to:
- Deepen students' understanding of ionic compounds
- Provide a hands-on introduction to chemical reactions in the making of polymers
- Encourage students' fluency with general chemistry concepts (such as interpreting the periodic table)
- Provide opportunities for students to think and act like a chemist (for example, by making precise calculations and measurements that affect a desired outcome)
- Foster habits of mind
- Explore the aesthetics of sculpture
- Practice the steps of moving from concept to the creation of three-dimensional forms
Click here for a complete project overview.